St. Thomas Evangelical Church of India (STECI), a reformed wing of the ancient St. Thomas Church in Kerala, South India, always sensed the need of a Bible College designed to meet not only her ministerial needs, but also to help train students for other churches.
It was for this purpose that the Jubilee Memorial Bible College, a Silver Jubilee Project of the STECI, was founded in the city of Chennai (then known as Madras) on 15th of August 1987 at Sishyashram premises, Annanagar. The institution was inaugurated by Rev. K. O. John, STECI Sabha Secretary with the Very Rev. P.T. Chandapilla as Chairman, Rev. Thomas Abraham as Principal, and Rev. Varghese Philip as Registrar.
During the first six years of the College, only a few students could be trained due to inadequate facilities on the Annanagar campus. The need for relocating the College to a more spacious campus was being increasingly felt. Consequently, in June 1993 the College was shifted from Annanagar to the present campus at Iyyancherry in Urappakkam, which is about 10 km south of Tambaram and 17 km from the Chennai domestic and international airports on the National Highway, called GST Road. The campus is 1 km away from the Urappakkam railway station, which is on the Chennai suburban railway system. The rural setting of the campus provides an ideal location for ministerial and theological training. The city office, however, continues to function at 36, Pillayar Koil Street, Thirumangalam, Annanagar West, Chennai 600 040.
JMBC makes concrete efforts to teach students to live according to the evangelical truths revealed in the sixty-six books of the Bible. Much emphasis is placed on the life of discipleship in godliness, faith and prayer. The members of the Faculty, who live and minister as a fellowship, consciously try to demonstrate the principles of faith and discipleship, and challenge the students to join them in following the footsteps of the Master-Servant, the Lord Jesus Christ.
JMBC is functionally under the authority of the Board of Governors of JMBC, which is directly responsible to the Jubilee Memorial Trust (JM Trust).
- There is one God, infinite and eternally existent in three Persons, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, the Creator and Sustainer of the universe, who reveals Himself in perfect holiness and love.
- The Holy Bible containing the sixty-six books of the Old Testament and the New Testament is the fully and uniquely revealed and inspired Word of God, infallible, inerrant, entirely trustworthy and the ultimate authority in all matters of faith and conduct.
- The full deity and humanity of the Lord Jesus Christ, His representative and substitutionary death, resurrection and ascension.
- The dignity of man created in the image of God, his fall, his universal sinfulness and consequent subjection to God’s wrath and condemnation, his need of redemption from the guilt, penalty and power of sin, his salvation by the grace of God, through repentance and faith alone in the Lord Jesus Christ.
- The illuminating, regenerating, indwelling and sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit enabling believers to live a holy life and equipping them to serve responsibly in society.
- The spiritual unity of all believers in Christ, composing the Church, the body of Christ, visibly expressed in worship, fellowship and service to society.
- The mission of the Church consists primarily of the evangelisation of the world, and especially the un-reached peoples through the proclamation of the Gospel by word and deed so that individuals and families find new life in Christ and churches are planted.
The personal, visible return of the Lord Jesus Christ and the resurrection of all, they that are saved unto eternal life, and they that are lost unto eternal death.
- Our Motto: “In His Steps” (1 Peter 2:21). Training young people for excellence in their service to the Lord Jesus Christ.
- Our Vision: We are committed to seeing the nation of India with over one billion people increasingly come under the Lordship of Jesus Christ the Saviour as more and more trained disciples engage in making disciples.
- Our Mission: To train young men and women in the Word of God and Christian discipleship so that they may, in godliness, faith, prayer and servanthood, ‘walk in His steps’ and fulfill the Great Commission of the Lord Jesus in India.
- Our Special Features
- An interdenominational English-medium college and seminary founded and administered by the St. Thomas Evangelical Church of India (STECI).
- Accredited by the Asia Theological Association, the premier evangelical accrediting agency in Asia
- Committed to the Triune God, His Word, His Church and His World
- Having Discipleship and servant hood for Mission as the heart of the program
- Committed to training disciples to make more disciples
- Inclined towards cross-cultural pioneer evangelism
- Integrating of academic study and practical training with character development
- Promoting a holistic mission of teaching, preaching and healing
- Promotion of spiritual advancement through the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ, by emphasizing the need for individual spiritual regeneration in order to strengthen and to transform spiritual, ethical and moral values irrespective of caste, creed, community, color, nationality, religion and sex, so as to lead them to conformity to Christ. This is carried out by
- Offering Diploma and Degree courses in Theology, Missiology and other fields of knowledge from an Evangelical Biblical perspective and conferring appropriate diplomas and degrees.
- Upholding and teaching the statement of faith as outlined earlier.
- Provision of scholastic, vocational and spiritual training for the various ministries and mission of the Church, particularly in India with the following emphases:
- Bible centered teaching that is evangelical in theology.
- Holiness of thought and life, prayer and growth in Christ as disciples.
- Church’s mission and witness in the contemporary world especially training for cross-cultural evangelism.
- Training in church planting, shepherding and discipleship.
- Exploration, experimentation and implementation through field campus training endeavors appropriate to the achieving goals of the College.